How to be Creative with John Cleese
Fabulous video from the multi-talented writer and actor John Cleese on how to achieve maximum creativity. It’s well worth the 36 minute time investment. In it, he gives us 5 things we need to move from “closed” to “open” thinking, where creativity occurs:
1. Space – Make an oasis of quiet for yourself where you will be undisturbed.
2. Time – Create your space for a specific amount of time, about an hour and a half.
3. Time – Give yourself time to play with what you’re working on within your allotted time. Don’t take the first or easy solution and move on. Evaluate problems from all angles.
4. Confidence – Don’t fear mistakes. Experiment. Play with and maintain openness to the “what if.”
5. Humor – Refrain from solemnity. Humor is freeing and one of the quickest paths to an “open” state of thinking. It is essential to the creativity needed to solve problems.
My favorite quote from the video: “Giggle all you want.” :-)